La Pila House, old mill for husking rice dating back to 1733, is a complex of three apartments of various sizes, fully furnished and independent, and is located inside the farm and the farm holiday Tenuta la Pila, which we briefly we tell his story below.

The farm is located on the edge of a vast plain known as the
Valli Grandi Veronesi, intensively cultivated ever since the introduction of rice farming in the late seventeenth century, made possible by the abundance of water from the nearby Adige River.

On March 11, 1733 a Concession was granted for use of this water supply for rice paddies and for construction of a “piccola roda ad uso di pilla per pilar li proprj risi”: this is the act ordering the construction of Casa della Pila di Spinimbecco, for husking the rice. This is the building still standing today over the hollow of Cagliara, destined to lend its name to the road from the centre of the village to the rice paddies and mill.

The house was progressively adapted to meet the new requirements imposed by intensive use of the surrounding land, with addition of a large farmyard and a wall enclosing the productive and residential buildings.

Life on the estate flowed along as slowly as the great Adige River, which brought not only development but disaster over the years. The year of the great catastrophe was 1882. Torrential rains in the Alps altered the course of the Adige River and on September 18 the water flooded over the right bank of the river south of Legnano for about 300 metres, and a huge mass of water made the Great Valleys of Verona into one enormous lake.
Quite apart from its disastrous consequences for the local people, the flood led to big changes in agriculture in the area. Rice-growing was gradually abandoned in favour of maize, known locally as frumentone, meaning “big wheat”, or, in dialect, formentòn zalo.
The old mill was then converted into a house for the farmhands.

The estate had several different proprietors after the Sambonifacio family. The Sartori family, the current proprietors, purchased the estate in the nineteen thirties and immediately set about renewing the land and buildings. They renovated the landowner’s villa, planted tobacco, and converted one of the old barns into tobacco drying rooms.
The first orchards were planted in the ’fifties. A new phase of renewal and investment began in the early ’nineties.

The last people to farm the land left in the ’seventies, and Casa della Pila was left abandoned for over thirty years.
The house was completely renovated in 2002 to create three fully furnished, independent Apartments for holidaymakers and for tenants temporarily working or studying in the area.